Sunday, March 06, 2011

Going Crazy at Home

Sitting here at home after my surgery has reminded me why I have a job. It's not just for the money. Well...let's be honest, it's mostly for the money. LOL It's also because sitting here at the house all day, every day is one of the hardest things I have had to do in a long time.

I love my family, don't get me wrong, but with my daughter here on disabliity with me, it's a constant battle to get any writing done. Between her inane prattle, video game noises and what she likes to watch on TV, I'm going CRAZY!

Take this blog for instance. I wanted to write it yesterday, did I? No. of course I didn't. I'm sure you're perfectly capable of checking the date. I'm writing it today, because the TV was on all day. When I left my 'recliner office', I went into the real office for some peace and quiet. What does she do? She follows me talking about her newest video game and how I should load it onto my laptop. Uh...no thank you. I'm not really into the same types of games. I do play them though, but they're retro games mostly. I love Tomb Raider because it makes you think and I can make Lara do that cool little handstand backbend thingy. Though sometimes it pisses me off if I sit and think about how I USED to be able to do that before... I glare at my kids.

Oh  well. I have another week before I go back to work. I see the doctor tomorrow to be certain. Let's hope he doesn't extend it, or if he does, I find something other to do than sit here and veg out because the kids are yammering at me non-stop.

By the way, my kids are adults in their mid-twenties. I DID listen when they were younger. Today, I just want them to entertain themselves. Read a book maybe. You would think they would have learned something from their avid reader\author mom wouldn't you? I may have the gift of gab, but I use my fingers to say it. A sort of sign language as it were...it's called writing.

Today I hope to start book 2 of the Hidden Breeds series. I sit here trying to write with the sounds of Bejeweled droning in the background and wonder if I will ever get that first paragraph written. Usually for me, that's the hardest part and the rest is cake. So, I sit here hoping for a few minutes of silence to come up with that awesome opening hook to get me started...

Sigh... I got nothing. Wish me luck!

Until next time.

Tianna

6 comments:

Fedora said...

Gentle hugs, Tianna! It's hard to be everything to your kids as a parent, and now that they're grown, you really don't need to be so much. I hope you'll get some quiet time to yourself; it's obvious you love your family, but it's also important that you get the time you need to nourish your own spirit and also for your kids to practice being independent. It's healthier for all of you! Take care of yourself... Maybe you need some noise-cancelling headphones in the meantime ;)

Tianna Xander said...

That's so true and the headphone idea is a sound one. I'll stop by the store and check them out after my appointment tomorrow.

Thanks!

Fedora said...

Some of them are a little pricey, but there's a relatively affordable pair that seems good--
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

Maybe Amazon? :)

Tianna Xander said...

Thanks for checking that out for me. Unless the doctor says differently, I have until the 12th before I can go back to work. They could come in handy.

Fedora said...

I think my husband originally got his for when he was travelling more, and used them on the plane, but since then he's been using them at home, too--when he needs to tune out the rest of us and just get work done :) Take care of yourself--I hope you get good news at the doctor's tomorrow! :)

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that your having all of the problems getting things done. I sometimes have the same problem with my children. Fortunately, I begin playing some old rock and roll and they usually make a beeline for the other room to get away from it. Don't know if that would work for you or not. Good Luck with your Dr. Appt. tomorrow!