Monday, February 02, 2009

Groundhog Day

Almost everyone knows that February second is Groundhog Day. It's the day when most everyone gets up early to watch the morning shows to see if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or if we'll be lucky enough to have a short winter and an early spring.

By the way, he saw his shadow today so I guess we're going to be cold for a while longer yet -- if you believe the prognostications of a little fat rodent.

Very few know the ancient meaning of this day. In the Pagan world it has a variety of names but most commonly it's called Imbolc, prounounced im-bolk. It's a festival. You know, back in the anceint times they had little to do in the winter so a party or celebration was something taken very seriously. Especially if it marked the halfway point between winter and spring. They were halfway there! Winter was on the downward spiral and warm weather would come again soon.

Imbolc, the fire festival, marks the point halfway between the Winter Soltice and the Vernal Equinox with roughly six weeks between the two. This time is also known as Solmonath or Candlemass depending on tradition.

To the Romans, this holiday was known as Lupercalia. Ancient Egyptians called it the Feast of Nut after the mother to the sun god Ra. Her birthday was February second. Christians celebrated this as Candlemass, the purification of the virgin. Many religions celebrate something on this day. Was it because there was nothing else to do in the dead of winter? Was it to celebrate surviving the first six weeks of winter or was there some other more mystical reason most religions had a celebration on this day and in fact have many holidays that coincide?

I fear no one will ever know the correct answer but it's fun to learn about and fun to wonder. And the celebrations aren't too shabby either!

Until next time...

8 comments:

Jojo Brown said...

I didn't know the history of the day. Thanks for your research and for sharing! Hey... I learned something, it hasn't been a wasted day after all. LOL

In this area we listen to Wiarton Willie... he DID see his shadow this morning. YAY

Jojo Brown
www.jojo-brown.blogspot.com

Judy said...

I enjoy all these little tid bits. I live in the south, so for me a little bit more cold won't hurt. It gets soooo hot here.

Tianna Xander said...

Jojo and Judy,

Thanks for stopping by!

I've always had a thing about Groundhog day. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I've always thought it a bit strange that intelligent individuals would put so much stock in the whims of a groundhog.

I'm glad you both enjoyed the post. I'll be posting more about holidays and other special calendar events in the future. If you're interested, stay tuned. :-)

Cynthya said...

Very interesting! I had no idea. I had heard of Imbolc and Candlemass but all I knew were the names. I bet Candlemass is at the same times as Lupercalia and Imbolc because the early Christians liked to use dates of pagan festivals and Christianize them (like with Christmas and Easter.) Pretty smart of them, I always thought. Anyway, it's a good time for a holiday. :)

lindseye said...

Very interesting post. i did learn something new about the mid-winter point.

Unknown said...

I never knew the history! I keep thinking GROUNDHOG DAY???? .... If we can have a groundhog day, I should at least get a Val Day .... oh wait I do VALENTINES! Whoooohooooo!!

Val

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Tianna! I can pretty much guarentte that the weather is going to be cold for a while longer here in England, whatever the groundhog says - it never seems to get warm over here!! xJ

Tianna Xander said...

Thanks for your input, everyone. I do plan to do more posts like these. I found it kind of fun. I did know this about the day since I've studied it before for other reasons but I thought it would be something interesting to add here.

Thank you for your posts, everyone.