Wednesday, February 04, 2009

In Memory of Prince

If I had to choose a favorite breed of dog I think it would be the German Shepherd Dog. Of all the working dogs I've ever been in contact with they are the most versatile, loving and hardworking animal. I haven't met a great many working dod breeds, however, so I could be wrong.

I had a German Shepherd Dog named Prince Albert, Prince for short. He was a large boned German Shepherd (also known as Shiloh Shepherd) who looked just like Rin Tin Tin of TV fame. I didn't know this when we acquired him just outside an animal shelter where his previous owner was about to drop him off outside the closed shelter in a crate.

It seemed the man's new wife had a grown Doberman that didn't like my little Prince. The man had the puppy wrapped in a blanket, his papers tucked inside the box. Apparently the man had only had Prince for three weeks when they'd gotten married and the Doberman was an adult. The woman wanted the messy puppy out of her house so there we were looking at this purebred puppy that looked more like a husky mix than a German Shepherd Dog.

Little did we know when we took this small puppy in that we would end up with a large dog that, when he stood on his hind legs, would be as tall as my husband who is six feet tall, by the way. He saved my life at least twice and was the best babysitter I ever had.

I'm writing this today in memory of his generous nature and love of life because today was his birthday. He crossed over in June of 1988 a victim of a sick individual's poison. The exboyfriend of a neice decided he shouldn't live because he'd protected our neice from the same man's rage.
I know you're waiting for me at the rainbow bridge, Prince and I can't wait to see you again.

Happy Birthday.

Until next time...

Tianna

No comments: